The minimum academic qualification for appearing in JEE (Main) is that the candidate must have passed in final examination of 10+2 (Class XII) or its equivalent referred to as the qualifying examination. Those appearing in 10+2 (Class XII) final or equivalent examination in the year of exam may also appear in JEE (Main) provisionally.
Date of Birth: Age Eligibility
Only those candidates whose date of birth falls on or after 1st October, 1990 are eligible. However, in the case of Scheduled Caste (SC), Scheduled Tribe (ST) and Persons with Disabilities (PwD) candidates, upper age limit is relaxed by 5 years, i.e. SC, ST and PwD candidates who were born on or after October 01, 1983 are eligible. Date of birth as recorded in the Secondary Education Board/University certificate will only be considered.
Year of Passing Qualifying Exam
Only those candidates who have passed their Class 12th Exam or any other qualifying examination in 2012 or 2013; or those who are appearing in their Class 12th Exam or any other qualifying examination in 2014 are eligible. Candidates who passed Class 12th /Qualifying examination in 2011 or before as well as those who will appear in such examination in 2015 or later are not eligible to appear in JEE.
Number of Attempts in JEE Main
The number of attempts which a candidate can avail at JEE (Main) is limited to 3 (three).
List of Qualifying Examinations
- The final examination of the 10+2 system, conducted by any recognized central/ state Board, such as Central Board of Secondary Education, New Delhi; Council for the Indian School Certificate Examinations, New Delhi; etc.
- Intermediate or two-year Pre-University examination conducted by a recognized Board/ University.
- Final examination of the two-year course of the Joint Services Wing of the National Defence Academy.
- Senior Secondary School Examination conducted by the National Institute of Open Schooling with a minimum of five subjects.
- Any Public School/ Board/ University examination in India or in any foreign country recognized as equivalent to the 10+2 system by the Association of Indian Universities (AIU).
- H.S.C. vocational examination. [Only for Admission to IITs]
- A Diploma recognized by AICTE or a state board of technical education of at least 3 year duration. [Only for Admission to IITs]
- General Certificate Education (GCE) examination (London / Cambridge / Sri Lanka) at the Advanced (A) level. [Only for Admission to IITs]
- High School Certificate Examination of the Cambridge University or International Baccalaureate Diploma of the International Baccalaureate Office, Geneva. [Only for Admission to IITs]