Indian Institute of Technology, Bhubaneswar (IITBBS) was set up by the Government of India in 2008. The Institute has 581 students in the Bachelor of Technology programme in Civil Engineering, Computer Science & Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering and Metallurgical & Materials Engineering along with 140 M. Sc., 124 M. Tech. and 181 Ph. D. with a total of 1026 students.
Pogrammes and Courses
- 4 year B. Tech in Civil Engineering (CE) with student strength of 50.
- 4 year B. Tech in Computer Science & Engineering (CSE) with student strength of 50.
- 4 year B. Tech in Electrical Engineering (EE) with student strength of 50.
- 4 year B. Tech in Mechanical Engineering (ME) with student strength of 50.
- 4 year B. Tech in Metallurgical and Materials Engineering (MME) with student strength of 20.
- 4 year B. Tech in Electronics & Communication Engineering (ECE) with student strength of 40.
- 5 year Dual Degree programme (B. Tech in Mechanical Engineering and M. Tech. in Mechanical System Design) with student strength of 10.
- 5 year Dual Degree programme (B. Tech in Mechanical Engineering and M. Tech. in Thermal Science & Engineering) with student strength of 10.
- 5 year Dual Degree programme (B. Tech. in Mechanical Engineering and M.Tech. in Manufacturing Engineering) with student strength 10.
- 5 year Dual Degree programme (B. Tech in Civil Engineering and M. Tech. in Structural Engineering) with student strength of 10.
- 5 year Dual Degree programme (B. Tech in Civil Engineering and M. Tech. in Transportation Engineering) with student strength of 10.
- 5 year Dual Degree programme (B.Tech. in Civil Engineering and M.Tech. in Environmental Engineering) with student strength of 10.
- 5 year Dual Degree programme (B.Tech. in Electrical Engineering and M.Tech. in Power Electronics and Drives) with student strength 10.
- 5 year Dual Degree programme (B.Tech. and M.Tech. in Computer Science and Engineering) with student strength 10.
- 5 year Dual Degree programme (B.Tech. in Metallurgical and Materials Eng. and M.Tech. in Materials science and Eng.) with student strength 10
The Institute promotes a border-less interdisciplinary academic environment to encourage the academic staff and students to work together through the concept of Schools. Currently, the Institute has School of Basic Sciences; School of Earth, Ocean and Climate Sciences; School of Electrical Sciences; School of Humanities, Social Sciences and Management; School of Infrastructure; School of Mechanical Sciences and School of Mineral, Metallurgical and Materials Engineering.
The Institute offers the following programmes:
- 4 year B. Tech. Degree programme
- 5 year Dual Degree programme
- M. Tech. Programme
- Joint M. Sc.-Ph. D. Programme
- Ph. D. Programme
The credit based curriculum for B. Tech. programme is spread over 8-semesters and includes summer internship, as well as research projects. For evaluation in a subject, the Institute follows a seven-point grading system with letter grades and the corresponding grade points per credit. The Cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA) is computed at the end of each semester. The CGPA obtained by a student reflects his/her performance up to and including that semester.
Curriculum and Pedagogy
IITBBS offers holistic education which is broad based. The pedagogy emphasizes strong technical education supported by intense laboratory practice and fosters creativity, innovations, human excellence amongst students. While imparting strong and vibrant education in technology, the courses provide significant amount of breadth through courses such as General Studies and Current Affairs, Entrepreneurship and Small Business Management and Odissi Dance in addition to some latest courses like Bigdata Analytics, Cyber Security and Cloud Computing etc.
The Institute permits students to register for select Video Courses (National Programme on Technology Enhanced Learning) & Massive Open Online Courses (MOOCs) and offers a variety of electives to the students to choose from. The Institute is equipped with facilities including e-Classrooms to support ICT based enhancements to the learning environment.
Training & Placement
Professionalism combined with specific skill set are high in demand in the competitive global job market. The mission of Career Development Cell (CDC) of IIT Bhubaneswar is to foster excellence in career development and promote strong partnership with employers so that all the graduating students get job opportunities through campus placements. The corporate interface and relations stand high on the agenda of CDC of IIT Bhubaneswar.
The CDC enjoys unflinching support and constant patronage of industry & institutions. IIT Bhubaneswar has been successful in adding more and more companies to the list of its recruiters. This year’s placement is marvelous and some of the students have got two job offers. The companies are impressed by our students performances and hence, many companies are visiting every year for recruitment. IIT Bhubaneswar provides excellent facilities for the process of campus recruitment.
Industry And Alumni Relations
The Institute has collaborative activities with many universities abroad. The U.G. students do visit many foreign Universities for their internship. The P.G. students do their project work under joint guidance of faculty of IIT Bhubaneswar & foreign Universities. MoU has been signed with many Universities for research collaboration, faculty and student exchange. As a result of partnership understanding set by IIT Bhubaneswar, active academic interaction in research and teaching is going on between our students/faculty members and their counterparts in the following universities:
- University of Warwick, UK
- University of Southampton, UK
- University of Massachusetts, Dartmouth, USA
- University of Western Ontario, CANADA
- McGill University, CANADA
- University of New York, Buffalo, USA
- University of North Dakota, USA
Location and Accessibility
Indian Institute of Technology Bhubaneswar campuses are well connected by direct train and flight services to most major cities of the country. The Samantapuri campus is about 15 minutes drive (~8 km) from the Bhubaneswar Railway station and 20 minutes drive (~12 km) from the Bhubaneswar Biju Patnaik Airport. The Satyanagar campus is about 5 minutes drive (~4 km) from the Bhubaneswar Railway station and 15 minutes drive (~8 km) from the Bhubaneswar Biju Patnaik Airport. The permanent campus at Arugul is about 33 km from the Bhubaneswar City, 36 km from Bhubaneswar Biju Patnaik Airport and 8 km from Khurda Road Junction railway station.
Address: Toshali Bhawan, PO: Satyanagar, Bbubaneswar - 751007, Odisha, India